Monday, August 15, 2011

~ getting direction ~

E
very single morning I talk to my
mom, it’s how I roll. And every
single morning she reminds me to
put on the armor of God and get in
the Word. This morning I was being


a good girl and well… doing what I was told yes, but also doing what I know kicks off my morning right and I was getting in the Word. I was on my computer and was trying to remember a verse that I heard yesterday at church – I knew it was found somewhere in 2 Timothy… well actually I wasn’t sure if it was 1 or 2 Timothy – but I knew it was Timothy – I Googled 2 Timothy and as Google made it’s suggestions to me, I picked 3 and I was so blessed that I did… Although this is not quite the verse I was looking for from church yesterday – this really spoke to me and I wanted to share.
2 Timothy 3 1-7
1 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.
6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth.
After reading this I was thinking well … I’m not one of those ”gullible” women which in real life, I know I am QUITE gullible but I didn’t quite think this applied to me… THEN I really started being honest with myself. So I asked myself, ”Do I associate myself with any of the people that were described above?” … and honestly, I do. And did you read the part where it said, ”Have nothing to do with such people”?
I felt this morning, this was God’s way of telling me I needed to reevaluate and it reminded me that he didn’t say keep these people at arm’s length, he didn’t say be friendly and stay away from them, he didn’t say let these people into your home and try and befriend them – NO, he said HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH SUCH PEOPLE. So this really made me think about who I associate myself with and are they these ”such people”? … or maybe, am I one of these people? GASP!

Lord knows I can be selfish, prideful, and I do like money. BUT I would have to say I don’t believe that any of those things have such a rein on me that they keep me from submitting myself to God and his plans for me but as all sin can, it can "worm" it's way between us and the one Truth.

Now I’ve got to think about the people I've been surrounding myself with, my kids and family with. Are they helpful or harmful – conceited or humble –  love God or do they love with themselves, money or idols? All very hard things to think about…

I always love it when this kind of things happens and where I thought I would end up this morning in my Bible Studying wasn't quite what God had in mind for me. It's amazing to know how powerful his Word truly is.

How about you? How does this verse speak to you?

1 comment:

Cherie Wilson said...

So good to see you! Although your previous post, and Jeremiah 29:11 is my favorite..... this post reminds me how easily we can decieve even ourselves.We need to be awake and alert and kind and good....... over and above all. There is a better higher "kind and good" that is lasting and pure. We can fake the worldly one if we want, but eventually we are only decieving ourself, eh? I love that our Father knows our heart.He can point us back in the right direction! We always need that! Wishing you much kind and good Sami!! You are a brave one! XO

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Search herHousehold