Monday, October 25, 2010

~ playing fort ~

this might look like a regular dining set to some people with a blanket over it but to my boys -
it's
THE FORT!

several times a week I'm asked to set up
THE FORT.

I can remember when I was little, setting up forts under quilting parties, under tables, behind couches, on the bottom bunk, in horse trailers, under trampolines, on the haystacks, in the old cabins behind our home and so on and so on.

Forts are awesome!

Forts = memories.

My sisters and I would round up all the picnic supplies, baby dress-up clothes, baby kittens *wink and of course, that to-go lunch that mama would pack up. We'd find our "special location" picked from the list above and dress up kittens, play pretend school, cooking and so on all day long. 

I can remember mama's whistle when she was trying to call us in for dinner or
when she felt it was necessary to check-in -
I can imagine her standing outside our old home acting as if she wasn't sure where exactly we were -
even though now, as a mother, I'm sure she new exactly where we were and exactly what we were doing
at all times. and exactly what we thought we might do.

she was on it!

I'm sure it was fun for her to have that day to herself and I'm sure it was nice for her to know we were
keeping busy and playing our little hearts away all the live long day.

After hearing her calling for us, we would round up all the little details that we drug out to that
"special fort location"
and we would drag everything back into the house either by hand or with our little red wagon or if our old blue heeler dog "Barchone" was lucky that day he could get to wear a little pink backpack that may or may not had a sweet little kitten dressed up in it.

Whatever we drug out there or where ever the fort "location" was that day it didn't matter...

because

my sisters and I have those memories.

Wonderful, wonderful memories... together.

So tell me... do you have any wonderful fort memories?

1 comment:

Boy Crazy said...

AWWW!!! Cute! So fun! We LOVE forts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Search herHousehold