Friday, March 26, 2010

Grandma Pattie's Chenille Beadspread

When I was growing up us girls would take turns spending the night at Grandma Pattie's house. We would get to sleep with Grandma and Grandpa would go back to the back bedroom to sleep. Grandma's room is awesome with those curtains that block out the sunlight and it's dark and cold and there are a ton of comfy blankets, percale sheets AND she had a television in her room.

When you're little being able to sit in bed and watch television is super fun! We only had one television in the house and it was in the living room which is actually how I would actually prefer now that I'm an adult - but that is another topic for another day...

Anyhow, my favorite blanket that she had on her bed was the white chenille bedspread. Have you ever seen these? So comfy, soft, heavy and hers smelt good... that smell of material washed up good and stored in the backroom/linen closet. It just smelt good - I don't know I can't explain it but if you know what I mean by that smell of old material you understand. I love chenille blankets! I would trace the little balls of material with my finger and brush my hand back and forth on top of them. So comforting - that feeling.I just called her to ask her what they are called because their name had slipped my mind and she told me I could have one of them! Yay me! So glad my boys can enjoy these chenille bedspreads like I did.

Do you have a favorite blanket? Maybe it is a old denim family quilt, or a deliciously warm flannel blanket that you all cuddle in as you sip hot chocolate and watch Seven Brides for Seven Daughters (Oops! That's hysterical! Thanks ma...) **Seven Brothers- whatever it may be - I'm sure you understand the comfort that a favorite blanket brings to your heart.

"You never know when you're making a memory."
Rickie Lee Jones

2 comments:

Jackie said...

That is seven brides for seven brothers.........

I love the post and you know my favorite blanket, and don't give me any crap about it either. :)
I love you
mom

Shelley in SC said...

Both my mom and one of my grandma's had these chenille bed spreads. Always snow white and totally smooth across the bed. Would never make it in my household, but your post brought back good memories and made me smile!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Search herHousehold